Saturday, August 7, 2010

The Social Exchange Theory; to me, it pretty much works like economics. It’s about making the most out of the choices we have. It’s about Cost-Benefit Analysis.

Personally though, I think the theory has a problem. As logical as it sounds, assessing relationships according to the benefits and costs they incur, that ‘logical’ way of seeing relationships could be its flaw. When I said that the Social Exchange Theory was like economics, I also meant that it makes it seem like people and relationships are different commodities in a grocery store. While I was in class, I couldn’t help but notice how the discussion went in a direction that neglected the very crucial fact that we are dealing with people here. And there are many more factors that govern the choices we make, factors that are inherent like emotions.

The Social Exchange Theory puts on a “thinker’s” shoes rather than a “feeler’s”. If it were up to me, I’d assess my relationships according to the way I feel because if I had one motto in life it would be “kung ayaw mo, eh di ‘wag”, but that’s just me. All my personality tests say I’m a feeler and more humanistic. Maybe that’s why I look at The Social Exchange Theory that way. Again, I’m not trying to dis the theory. I’m just saying that from my point of you, it’s flawed in that way. Still, I have to say was wowed when I heard about the theory and Cost-Benefit analysis in relationships.

No comments:

Post a Comment